SOUTHBOROUGH, Mass. — A small fire broke out at the Southborough Transfer Station on Thursday that firefighters said was caused by improper charcoal disposal.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire shortly after it began at around 2 p.m. The fire did not appear to cause any significant damage to the transfer station.
"Somebody accidentally put hot coals in the trash," Lt. Neal Aspesi said. He added that coals can sometimes smoulder longer than people expect. "If they've got a lot of stuff around them, they can ignite pretty quick," he said.
Aspesi suggested that residents dispose their hot coals in a metal container away from any flammable items, where they can fully extinguish.